What is Mobile Deposit?Mobile Deposit is a way to electronically deposit checks from your iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or Android™ phone using the German American Mobile App.
Who is eligible for Mobile Deposit?To qualify for Mobile Deposit, you must have an active German American personal checking account for at least 60 days, be in good account standing, and have enrolled in German American Online Banking.
Mobile Deposit is not available for business customers. For businesses, we offer aRemote Deposit Capture service with more of the features our business customers require.
How much can I deposit?Depending on your qualifications, most customers are eligible to deposit up to $2,500 per check, up to $2,500 per day, and up to $5,000 in a 30 day timeframe.
How much does it cost to deposit a check using Mobile Deposit?Mobile Deposit is free to German American customers. Just download the German American Mobile Banking App to begin. Your service provider's data access charges may apply.
Is Mobile Deposit safe?Yes. Check deposits made through the German American Mobile Banking App are protected according to the highest financial industry standards. Security features include: password protection, internet firewalls and 128-bit encryption. Check images and other private information are not stored within the Mobile Banking App or on your phone, iPad® or iPod Touch®. A deposit made using Mobile Deposit is as safe as using Online Banking.
How do I make my first Mobile Deposit?
- Make sure you have downloaded the German American Mobile Banking App for your iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or Android™ phone.
- Log in to the German American Mobile Banking App using your Online Banking username and password.
- Choose "Deposit Checks" or "Deposits" from the menu.
- Read and accept the Mobile Deposit Services Agreement. (It may take up to 24 hours to receive approval.)
- Select the account into which you want to deposit the check.
- Enter the amount of your check.
- Endorse the back of your check with "For Mobile Deposit Only."
- Take pictures of the front and back of your check.
- Submit the check for deposit.
- You will receive a confirmation that your check has been submitted to us for review.
- Deposits may take up to one business day to appear in your account.
- Deposits received by 6:00 pm ET on business days will be credited to your account during nightly processing the same business day. Deposits received after 6:00 pm ET will be credited the next business day.
- After your deposit has been posted, we recommend that you securely store your check for 30 days and then destroy it.
Do I need to sign the back of my check?Yes. Please sign the back of your check and write “For Mobile Deposit Only.”
How will I know when the check has been posted to my account?After submitting the images of the front and back of your check, you will receive an onscreen confirmation that your deposit has been submitted to German American for review. You will also have the option to email a confirmation number to yourself. Deposits may take up to one business day to appear in your account. Accepted deposits received by 6:00 pm ET on business days will be credited to your account during nightly processing the same business day. Deposits received after 6:00 pm ET will be credited by the next business day.
Why am I unable to deposit my check?There are a few reasons that checks may not be able to be deposited:
- Folded or torn corners
- Front image is not legible
- Amount entered does not match the amount read by the scanning software
- Routing and account numbers are unclear
- No camera on the device
- Image is too dark
Helpful tips for Mobile Deposit:
- Use Mobile Deposit in a well lit area to prevent shadows or poor image quality when taking pictures of your check.
- Smooth out any folds on your check.
- Place the check on a dark background before taking the picture.
- Keep hands clear of the check while taking the pictures to avoid pictures of fingers/hands.
- Once your deposit has been posted, we recommend that you securely store your check for 30 days and then destroy it.
I just made a deposit a few hours ago and I don’t see it in my account. Can I bring the check into a German American banking office to deposit?No. Once you have deposited a check through Mobile Deposit, you may not deposit it again elsewhere. If there is a problem with that particular deposit, we will notify you and work with you to correct it. However, the check is generally no longer negotiable once the check image has been submitted for deposit. Think of it like an electronic teller line; once the teller deposits your check, you cannot take the check back and deposit it again.
If you are concerned about not seeing the deposit in your account, look for your deposit on the next business day. As mentioned above, deposits are not processed immediately.
What do I do if my check is rejected in Mobile Deposit?Double check the following:
- Your check photos are clear and legible. Be sure that there are no shadows on the check, the check itself is not wrinkled excessively, the image is not blurry from "camera shake," and the writing is contained within the relevant spaces on the check.
- You have positioned the check against a dark or contrasting background.
- The MICR line (the bottom portion of the check that includes your account number and routing number) is fully visible (be sure the corners of the check are not covering this line).
- There is space between the MICR line and the edge of the image.
- The check number, payee, endorsement, character (numeric) amount, legal (written) amount, and MICR line are all readable.
If the check continues to be rejected, bring it to one of our banking offices for deposit.
Where can I download the Mobile Deposit Service Agreement?Click here to download the agreement.
How do I change my email address for Mobile Deposit email notifications?Log into Online Banking from a computer and update your email address. After you have changed your email address, open the“Deposit Checks” or “Deposits” option within the Mobile Banking App. You don't need to process a deposit in order for the information to update for Mobile Deposit.
Is there a way to see the checks I deposited within the App?Images are not stored on your device. The program removes the image after it is submitted, or if you do not complete the process.
What accounts can I use with Mobile Deposit?All checking accounts from your main account list in Online Banking will populate the “Deposit into” list within your Mobile Deposit list.
Which items are not eligible for Mobile Deposit?The below items are considered ineligible for Mobile Deposit:
- Checks payable to any person or entity other than you (i.e., payable to another party and then endorsed to you).
- Checks payable to you and another party who is not a joint owner on the account.
- Checks that contain evidence of alteration, or that you know or suspect, or should know or suspect, are fraudulent or otherwise not authorized by the owner of the account on which the check is drawn.
- Checks that you know or suspect, or should know or suspect, represent orders to pay money that are subject to defenses by the drawer of the check or other third party.
- Checks previously converted to a substitute check, as defined in Regulation CC.
- Checks drawn on a financial institution located outside the United States.
- Checks not payable in United States currency.
- Checks dated more than 6 months prior to the date of deposit.
- Checks that have previously been submitted through this service or through a remote deposit capture service offered at any other financial institution.
- Checks or items that are drawn or otherwise issued by the U.S. Treasury Department.