At German American, the security of your information and finances is a top priority. As the use of smart phones continues to grow, we feel it is important to provide you information on additional ways to keep your information and money safe and the list below is an example of “best practices” for securing your mobile devices.
Protect your data and lock your phone
- Enable password/PIN lock code.
- Set the screen timeout to five minutes or less.
- Avoid using auto-complete features that remember names or passwords.
- Protect your passwords and never reveal them to anyone.
- Always clear all personal information from your phone or mobile device before discarding it.
- When in public, be cautious of others viewing your mobile device and your key strokes.
- Do not use public wireless networks for sensitive information.
Manage Your Applications Wisely
- Download apps only from trustworthy sources - like iTunes® or Google Play™.
- Don’t install a new app until it has established a good reputation.
- Keep applications updated. Remove applications you no longer use.
- Don’t “root” or “jailbreak” your device or install third-party firmware.
What to do if your phone is lost or stolen
- If enabled, track your phone’s location so you can easily determine if it is lost of stolen.
- Notify your cell phone provider to suspend or deactivate your service until it is located or replaced.
- Call German American at (800)482-1314 to unregister that phone for Mobile Banking access and consider changing your online banking password.
- If enabled, remotely wipe the data from your phone.